was able to save a two-story yellow colonial home from serious damage tonight. A motorcycle fire is believed to have started the blaze in the garage below the more than 2,000-sqaure-foot house. No one was injured and the family was displaced from the residence.
Just after 5 p.m. tonight, Branford Fire Department responded to 10 Pawson Landing Dr., to find smoke bellowing from the lower garage area of a home in the Linden Avenue area of town. Numerous neighbors called to report the smoke and to state that the residents were not home.
Deputy Chief William Pepe said crews from knocked the main body of the fire down from the interior of the two-car garage. Upon putting out the blaze, crews determined that a motorcycle was on fire – the fire had spread to the first floor rooms above the garage, reported Pepe.
Crews from Division 1, Engine 1 and Company 1, were able to keep the fire at bay and prevent the spread to the rest of the home.
The house sustained heavy water damage in the lower basement and garage areas. The first-floor living areas had minor fire and smoke damage while the second floor had smoke damage. Branford's Fire Marshal will be conducting an investigation of the incident.
The homeowner and family were contacted and responded back to the residence. They are staying with family as the home is uninhabitable according to Pepe.