Press Release from
A local Branford man was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital by Fire Department paramedics this morning after high carbon monoxide levels were found in his home. Deputy Chief William Pepe stated the man accidentally left his vehicle running in the attached garage of his home overnight at 738 Leetes Island Rd.
Firefighters were alerted to the call at 6:33 a.m. via an alarm company. Upon the arrival of the first unit, the elderly man was found sleeping in his bedroom and was immediately removed to fresh air where medical treatment was initiated. Deputy Chief Pepe stated “the vehicle had been running for an extended period of time before the radiator reservoir melted causing the vehicle to overheat and the engine to seize.”
Besides the CO alarm, which alerted the Fire Department, the homeowner fortunately also had his bedroom window slightly open (shown in attached picture) which helped keep CO from accumulating and allowed at least some fresh air to enter the home. Captain Judd reported carbon monoxide levels of 150 parts per million in the residence which is far above safe levels and can lead to death.
Chief Jack Ahern stated “The importance of carbon monoxide and smoke detectors cannot be over emphasized. Accidents happen and these devices can prevent serious injury and death. The members of , 1, and our paramedics did a great job, moved quickly, and abated the situation safely.”
also responded to the scene and assisted the Fire Department. The individual is expected to be OK.