Yet again, Branford Patch readers have shown that they know the town! Several readers had guesses in the right neighborhood, but , , , , and all came up with exactly the right answer to : Main Street and Svea Avenue.
In 1941, the intersection was home to Shore Line Bedding Co., and a vacant store. On Svea, the Branford Garage and Branford Laundry stood. The 1953 City Directory lists Branford Motor Co., (likely the gast station in this picture) and Branford Drug Co., Inc as residents of the corner. In the 1960s, Branford Drug Co., was still there (it remained through the 1970s), and the corner added Branford Food Center grocers and Shore Line Electric Supply. The grocers were still there in the 1970s and 1980s as well, and an organic food store had a brief position on the block (proving that the trend in organic food is not actually a recent one).
Currently, of course, the block houses some excellent restaurants: , (soon to be the Waterhouse), and , as well as . Tacuba is where the Branford Garage, pictured as a white building in the black and white photo, stood.