Well, Branford: there's some nasty weather in the forecast for Saturday.
The temperatures may be quite a bit warmer than earlier this week, but a significant storm system bringing heavy rains and high winds is headed our way.
In anticipation of the storm, the National Weather Service hasissued a flood watch for Branford, as well as much of the rest of the state.
The watch goes into effect Saturday morning and runs through Saturday night.
Heavy Rains, Winds
Total rainfall is expected to range from 1.5 to 2.5 inches across the state, with wind gusts ranging from 40-50 miles per hour at times.
The heaviest rainfall is expected be late Saturday afternoon and Saturday evening.
Malloy Urges Caution
And Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy is asking residents to take extra precautions to protect themselves and their property.
“The current forecast is calling for heavy rain, minor flooding, and high winds, with the major impacts being urban and basement flooding,” Malloy said in a press release Thursday. “If you live in a low-lying, flood prone area, please stay alert to changing weather condition and if you plan on traveling tomorrow, please use caution and do not attempt to drive through standing water.”
Malloy said the Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (DEMHS) will continue to monitor the storm and the current conditions across the state.
The good news is, once we weather Saturday's storm, both Sunday and Monday look sunny and quite temperate for this time of the year.
- Saturday - Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Areas of fog. High near 52. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
- Saturday Night - Rain, mainly before midnight. The rain could be heavy at times. Patchy fog before midnight. Low around 39. Breezy, with a south wind 17 to 22 mph becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
- Sunday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. West wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph.
- Sunday Night - Mostly clear, with a low around 30. West wind 5 to 8 mph.
- Monday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 48.
- Monday Night - A chance of rain after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Tuesday - A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 49. Chance of precipitation is 50%.