Citizens Bank and WTNH News 8 today announced the categories for the 2013 Champions in Action® program, which provides financial, volunteer and public relations support to local nonprofits. Strengthening Communities and Arts and Culture are the two focus areas for 2013.
Nonprofit organizations focused on Strengthening Communities – initiatives that contribute to the economic vitality of communities, including job training and financial education – are invited to apply for the Champions award to be announced in January 2013. Applications can be completed online at www.citizensbank.com/community/champions and must be submitted by Friday, October 5, 2012, at 5 p.m.
Launched in 2002, the Champions in Action program is designed to recognize and support nonprofit organizations for their contributions to Connecticut communities. Over the past decade, Citizens Bank and WTNH News 8 have honored 39 nonprofits statewide.
The selected Champion in Action will receive:
- An unrestricted $35,000 grant
- Coverage from WTNH News 8, including public service announcements and TV profiles
- Volunteer support from Citizens Bank colleagues and from WTNH News 8
- Public relations support
- Promotional support, including advertising in Citizens Bank branches, on Citizens Bank ATMs, and on the Citizens Bank and WTNH News 8 websites
- The opportunity for the organization’s executive director to participate in a president-to-president mentorship with Citizens Bank of Connecticut President Ned Handy
To be eligible for consideration, an organization must:
- Be a Connecticut-based nonprofit organization that serves Connecticut and addresses the designated social concern;
- Provide verification of tax-exempt status under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code; and
- Have a total operating budget of $5 million or less.
For more information about the Champions in Action program, visit www.citizensbank.com/community
About Citizens Bank
Citizens Bank is a division of RBS Citizens, N.A., operating its seven-state branch network in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. It has 50 branches and 126 ATMs in Connecticut.
RBS Citizens, N.A., is a subsidiary of RBS Citizens Financial Group, Inc., a $129 billion commercial bank holding company. It is headquartered in Providence, R.I., and through its subsidiaries has more than 1,400 branches, approximately 3,700 ATMs and approximately 18,940 colleagues. Its two bank subsidiaries are RBS Citizens, N.A., and Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania. They operate a 12-state branch network under the Citizens Bank brand in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont; and the Charter One brand in Illinois, Michigan and Ohio. RBSCFG has non-branch retail and commercial offices in more than 30 states. RBSCFG is owned by RBS (the Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc). RBSCFG’s website is citizensbank.com.
About the Citizens Bank Foundation
Citizens Bank Foundation is a subsidiary of the Citizens Charitable Foundation, which is a charitable contributions vehicle of RBS Citizens Financial Group, Inc., RBS Citizens, N.A., and Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania. The foundation’s support is focused on human services, affordable housing and economic development. RBSCFG’s website is citizensbank.com.
About WTNH News 8
WTNH News 8 continues to set the standard for news coverage excellence in Connecticut. News 8 provides news, weather and information around the clock through its television newscasts, WTNH.com website, and digital and mobile platforms. WTNH News 8, an ABC affiliate, and WCTX MyTV9, a My Network affiliate, serve more than 871,000* households.
*Estimate according to Connecticut Nielsen Station Index (NSI).